Monday, April 28, 2008

ISA for a RISC

I get the question, "so what do you do in computer science?" quite a bit. A truly simple question without a simple answer. My mind races when I get this question. Do I tell them about the mathematical logic, number theory, graph theory, numerical analysis, or inform them of automata, computability and computational complexity theories, or I could go the route of analysis of algorithms and data structures, or even go into the realm of system architecture which includes computer architecture, computer organization, and operating systems. But I'm leaving out the data mining, relational databases, artificial intelligence, automated reasoning, and machine learning that I could also talk about. I usually just say, "I program" and be over with it because lets be real, unless you're a fellow CECS student/major/graduate/enthusiast you are not going to want to hear about all that exciting stuff. But now I am going to give you an actual glimpse of some of the things that I work on.

Here is a project that I worked on last semester in my computer architecture class, so I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did working on it :)

fun times

Note: the file is around 2.5 MB so it might take 10+ seconds to load the page

1 comment:

Erin said...

You are an amazing writer about things not everyone understands--and I proud of you.